Friday, August 22, 2008

Peaches to the left of me, peaches to the right

Today D and I worked together to cut up and freeze the many, many, many, many peaches our one little tree produced so far. I had already got 5 quart Ziplocs frozen and today we put up 4 more. There are still enough peaches to get two more done today and then tomorrow we start all over again. We are now picking peaches three times a day. Sometimes the bunnies get them first, We leave some on the ground so the little bunnies will each those and maybe not new ones. Ha. Bunnies are mean like that. We found out that our dog, Tucker, loves peaches, too. Last year when we had so many peas he would beg those off me when I was shelling them. He loves onions and peppers, too. The one raccoon in our neighborhood got D's corn again this year. It makes him very sad. I mentioned to him that BBQ'd raccoon is really good, but he's from the east coast and nearly threw up. That was last year, though, and this is the second time it's gotten the corn, so maybe he'll be more open to it this year. There are also about 20 plums on that tree and we've gotten 6 apples. The cherry and the pear tree are still too little to get fruit. I'm not sure what we're going to do if they all produce like the peach tree. At least we know the plum tree and the peach tree don't ripen at the same time. This year has been horrible for my tomatoes, but good for my peppers.

No comments: